Sunday, August 3, 2008

The hot, hell that was Bayonne!

We had to go to Bayonne on Thursday as Nigel had an appointment,at 3pm, to meet the anaethetist and surgeon prior to going in for his biopsy at the end of the month.
We left here at 11.30 so that we could have lunch on the way. The roads were quiet, the sun was shining, the scenery was stunning and by 12.15 we were looking for somewhere to have lunch. Now I am sure we have all been in the same situation - how many suitable looking places do we see just when we have got past them and there is no easy way to turn around! Sods law! Time goes on, there seems to be a dearth of eating places and finally one says what the hell, stop looking for just the right place, anywhere will do. So, we stopped at the next one, it looked OK, menu seemed to be OK, let's go for it. The reception was fine, we were shown to a nice table, it didn't look too crowded. The menu came very quickly and the waitress went too quickly, before I had had chance to say we wanted the menu du jour. When I managed to catch her eye and ask what the plat du jour was she said that it was lasagne but that there was only one left. So, we had to go back to the menu. After deciding on a salad we were, finally, able to order our meal. By this time a couple of guys who came in after us had almost finished their menu du jour, 3 courses, and we were still without even a carafe of water, something that is usually brought to the table automatically. I asked for water, it never came. We watched another couple who had arrived after us start tucking in to their meal and we decided that the time had come to make a quick exit. Fortunately there was a pizza establishment over the road that also did salads so we went in there, it was empty, the service was quick and the salad was good. Not quite what we had envisaged, a lazy lunch on the terrace of some nice local establishment, but heigh ho, by this time we were past caring!!
So, on to Bayonne. We have been to Bayonne before but not in the height of the holiday season. It is quite a large town and we didn't really know where we were going as the print out I had taken from the web seemed to bear no resemblance to where we were. Not helped either that the fete of Bayonne had started the night before and many streets as well as the town centre were closed to traffic. The streets that weren't closed to traffic were crammed with parked cars and the streets were full of "festyres" (festival goers) dressed in white top and trousers, red neckerchiefs and red cummerbunds. They all looked very happy and excited despite the heat and the crowds, in marked contrast to Nigel and myself who were desperately trying to find the clinic Lafourcade and not far from the divorce court! Suddenly I saw a sign saying clinic La..... so I quickly turned down the side street and into the clinic car park. Phew, what a relief, but of course there was nowhere to park. A chap appeared to unlock the oxygen/gas compound so I asked him if there was anywhere that I could park. Although there was a sign, forbidding parking by the compound, he said that we could park there. Normally I would have been a bit apprehensive as there was also a sign saying that any vehicle parked there would be towed away but we threw caution to the wind and did as he said. We went into the reception area at the clinic with 10 minutes to spare only to be told that we were at the wrong place. We were at the clinic La...... not the clinic Lafourcade!. The receptionist was most helpful and told us that it would be easier to walk there, that it would take us about 10 minutes. So now, instead of being early we were going to be late! Off we went, through the searing heat and the festive crowds, to find the right clinic. Hot and sweating we got there to be told that the 3pm appointment wasn't until 5.30pm. No, no I said, we were told to be here at 3 to see the anaethetist as well. Ah, yes she said and took us off to the anaethetists' waiting room. Half an hour later, slightly less hot and sweaty we saw the anaethetist who was very pleasant and efficient. Back to the first waiting room where we were told that we may have to wait a "petit moment" to see the surgeon. I love that saying, "petit moment", such a nice way of saying that it may be quite a while!! By this time I was beginning to get worried about the car so I left Nigel in the waiting room whilst I went to, hopefully, rescue the car and move it to the car park at the correct clinic. About half way there I realised that I was feeling rather overheated and faint and by some great chance I saw that I was right by a shop where I could buy a bottle of water. Half a litre of water later I felt restored enough to get back to the car which I am pleased to say hadn't been towed away. As I opened the car door it felt as though I had opened the door to a furnace! The temperature on the dashboard showed 38C, no wonder I had felt somewhat hot. I managed to drive back to the other clinic with the air con on at full blast and by some miracle managed to get into the last parking space in the clinic car park. Nigel was still waiting for a "petit moment" so all was well. When we finally got in to see the surgeon it was well worth the wait!! Very dishy!! Apart from which he filled us both full of confidence and explained everything very clearly. His English was very good and he was very keen to answer any questions Nigel might have, and there were plenty! We finally left the clinic at 5.45 and were able to get out of Bayonne with no problems. I felt no envy at seeing all the festival goers I just wanted to get out and get back home!!

No comments: