Thursday, May 13, 2010

Funeral.

One day in April I received a phone call from a lady in the village who I have only met a couple of times. She told me that the mayor's mother had died, that the wake (veillée) was that night and the funeral the next day. It was obvious that we were supposed to participate somehow and I asked her if it was necessary for us to go to the wake. Thankfully, as we had never met the deceased, she said that no that wouldn't be obligatory but left me with the impression that we should be at the funeral. The conversation then went on to all deaths in the village as I was asked if we would like to be notified each time there is a death. I asked, tactfully, if it would be OK if we were just notified of people in our part of the village, Perron, and was told yes that was OK and she will give me a call when any happen!
I confirmed this with Helene and asked her if N should really be there as well to which she replied that he should be. Helene asked if she could go with us and we arranged to pick her up and she said she would get a small floral tribute for us the next morning.
So all spruced up and soberly dressed we picked Helene up at 1.45 the following day along with 2 small floral tributes. When we got to the church there were a lot of people there both inside and out. Following Helene's instructions N waited outside whilst Helene and I walked to the altar to place the flowers. Somewhat embarrassing as there were already so many people in there. Am not sure that the flowers were necessary as if everyone had taken some there would have been many more. We then collected N and seated ourselves at the rear of the church. It was the first time that we had been in the church in Castandet and I found it to be quite plain compared to many other catholic churches that I have been in. Soon the bells tolled and the coffin was wheeled (yes wheeled!) in followed by the family of the deceased. The parish priest, who we have met socially is in his 80's and a very pleasant chap, gave a long address and the service continued for about an hour. We left before the internment, Helene advising us that it wasn't necessary for us to be present. In a strange way the fact that we were almost ordered to attend gave me a feeling of belonging to the village. We must have done alright as we have recently received a card from the mayor and his family thanking us for our attendence and condolences.

No comments: