Friday, May 7, 2021

Devon June 2013

First stop was to stay a couple of nights with Annie in Woodbury. On the Friday afternoon Annie took me on a walk which turned into a hike and us getting lost! Eventaully I persuaded her to turn back and make our way home. We seemed to walk miles and all this on the hottest day of the year so far! I was pretty shattered by the time we got back and have vowed never to go on one of her "little" walks agan! The purpose of this trip was to celebrate the 40th burthdays of Steve and Rodger. Rodger is Steve's boyhood friend and my 3rd "son" as he spent so much time at our place when they were growing up. Rodger,Miryl, Josh and Livvy niw live in Melbourne and had come over to visit his family in Dalwood. Steve had booked us in to share a cottage with them at Hawley Farm. for the week beginning 10th June. Now Dalwood, in East Devon, is where we lived from 1977 until 1997 and Rob and Steve were just 4 and 6 when we moved there. I knew Hawley farm from those years before Gordon and Pam moved there and eventually converted the barns into holiday cottages. Gordon was a teenager when we moved there and lived close to us at his parents farm on the edge of the village. Nigel and I went up to the farm and were able to check in early and had a chat and some reminiscing with Gordon particularily about the time his tractor scared my horse and I ended up in the ditch! I hopped onto the tractor and we went off in hot pursuit of Chippie before finding her calmly grazing at the side of lane by the school! Then we drove down to the village to meet up with Steve and family and Rodger and family. Wonderful to see them all! We had a drink at the Tuckers Arms, our "local" when we lived there. The weather was good enough to be able to sit out in the garden and enjoy our reunion. The "boys" spent the afternoon getting ready for the joint birthday party tomorrow which was to be held in the garden of Rodger's brother Neil who lives adjacent to the pub. The next day was warm and sunny and when we arrived at Neil's the marquee was up and tables were seated around the garden with a bbq being fired up. It was good to see so many of Steve and Rodger's friends many of them now with children of their own. By mid afternoon the bbq was in full flow and it dawned on me that a)I wasn't feeling very hungry and b) I didn't feel too well. I didnt want to be a party pooper but certainly wasn't my usual sociable self. Anyway the party was a great success and everyone enjoyed themselves. Next morning Steve and Nigel went down to the village to help with the aftermath of the party. I had not had a good night but had to rouse myself as I had invited friends, Dave and Sheila and Jan and Roy for an evening meal. It was so good to see them but I really was not feeling well at all. Tuesday and Wednesday passed in a blur, sleepless nights, coughing and the odd bit of sleep I felt so bad and I had been so much looking forward to this week especially being able to spend time with my new granddaughter. On Thursday I made an appointment to visit the doctors surgery in Axminster to see one of the nurses there. We had lunch planned first at the Old Inn in Kilmington along with Rodger and family as well as Pat, Rodger's mother. I dont think I ate much. At the surgery the nurse diagnosed a lung infection and said it was on the edge of pneumonia. She prescribed rest and antibiotics. We had to leave our accomodation on Saturday and I was st
ill pretty much bedridden so what to do? My good friends Mairi and Bryan stepped into the breach and let us stay there for a couple of nights. The antibiotics started to kick in and, thankfully, we were able to catch the ferry back to France and Nigel drove back all the way in one day. Such a relief to get back home, such a disappointment though to have been ill at such a time. One good thing came out of it though, it stopped me smoking and even when fully recovered I didnt have the slightest desire to have another cigarette and never have done since then.

No comments: