Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Busy Day

Today was the day I launched myself into a new social life here in Les Landes!! After lunch I went into Mont de Marsan to play Scrabble. Unfortunately I got a bit lost and was late getting there but everyone was understanding. They play "normal" i.e everyone for themselves, as opposed to the duplicate Scrabble we played in Artigat. We played about 6 games and I was fourth out of four for 5 of the games! Still it is all good practise and improves my French vocabulary. I have to say that I felt quite young, always a nice feeling, as the other ladies were quite elderly. They were all very pleasant though and I shall continue to go. I got back home just before 6pm and was on the road again at 7.30 to go to my first bridge lesson. Thought I had better leave in plenty of time in case I got lost again! Luckily I had a map and although I went wrong at one point I did get there in time. The bridge club is on the edge of a vast sporting complex with a rugby pitch and many tennis courts. I have joined the 2nd year despite asking to go back to the first year. It is 10 years since I have played and they play a different system here as well, of course, speaking a different language!!I don't think there are enough people for a first year so we are 2 people from last years' first year and 3 of us who have some knowledge of the game. Our teacher is very pleasant, speaks clearly and obviously knows her stuff and is a keen player. I made a complete hash of the first hand I played, nerves more than anything else I think. Must do better. Apparently we usually get homework but haven't got any yet. The lesson went from 8pm until 10.30, I have to say I was losing a bit of concentration during the last half hour. Looking forward to next week though.

No comments: