Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Doctors and nurses.

When we moved here I had to register us with a new doctor. I had had one doctor in Grenade recommended so rang his secretary. I was told that he was very busy but that I could register with a new doctor in the practise. So I made an appointment to see him. I went to see him thinking that we would just have to go through the formalites of registering and was surprised to find that I was subjected to a virtually full medical!! A very nice young man, obviously pretty newly qualified and very keen! We have seen him since then when Nigel went for his first visit and I have to say that he seems to be very efficient. No feeling of being rushed and very thorough.
I had to go for a routine blood test and I made an appointment to go and do so this morning with the nurse in Grenade. Had to be there before 9am, no drink or food before going which is very difficult! Was very surprised when I got there to find that the nurse was no chicken!! Please don't accuse me of being ageist but she must have done her training about 50 years ago!! I have to say that she looked like the typical elderly French lady one sees in the market or the boulangerie dressed in her rather unstylish overall. Nevertheless she was extremely pleasant and seemed to be reasonably efficient. The first attempt at getting blood was a dead loss so she decided to try the other arm. This time we had success. As she pulled the needle out of my arm she stuck it in her wrist (glove, what gloves!!). No panic from her just oh dear I have pricked myself with the needle I have taken out of your arm so now I must ring the doctor!!!!!!! Do you think you have hepatitis she asks me, no I say no worries on that score. Still of course we have to go by the book. After explaining to the doctor she puts me on to him and he says oh yes of course I know you there is no problem but I have to ask you if you will have another blood test so that we can check for hepatitis and HIV. Of course I agree to this and she takes another sample of blood, then rings the laboratory to explain to them what has happened and to say that she too has to have a blood test. What should have been a quick 5 minutes in and out turned out to be a thirty minute drama!!

No comments: