Monday, October 29, 2007

Les Etoiles de Pau




For the first time, Pau is hosting a 4 star 3 day event (CCI). Pau now joins with Badminton, Burghly, Lexington and Luhmuhlen to host an event at this level. As it is so close to here, about 30 miles, I just had to go. Nigel was not keen to go and I wasn't keen to force him! So much easier to be on ones own if the other half isn't willing !
I got there about 12.30 and managed, after driving round an industrial estate by the airport, to find the parking. Most people seemed to be parking in the industrial estate but I reckoned it was worth 5 euros to be a bit nearer. I found 2 disinterested looking chaps hovering around in the road and asked where the parking was.
Man A: It's paying.
Me: Yes, I know, no problem.
Man A: to me You're English? to man B: She's English.
Me: Is the parking only for French, can't English park here, look my car is French registered.
Man A: (straight faced) but , after the rugby...................ha, ha, just a joke!! 5 euros please, have a good afternoon.
Only had to walk over the road and I was at the entry, so well worth paying. Large "village" there selling food , drinks and lots of equestrian stalls. Also 3 large screens for watching the course from the comfort of a chair, not the same though as seeing it in the "flesh". Once I had sussed out and tried the toilet facilities I decided it was time to get a sandwich for lunch and make my way to a viewpoint. Not many places in the world, I suspect, where one can get a very generous foie gras sandwich for 4.50! I walked part of the course and found a good viewpoint by the lake. One large fence into the area with an easier option, then a jump in and out of the lake. I thought that the x country started at 1.30 but it was in fact 2.30 but it gave me a chance to sit and have my sandwich and watch the world go by. Lots of English voices around me, suspect many people had flown over especially to attend. The competition finally got underway at 2.30 and I stayed in my place for over an hour. Many English riders, many French, some American, Italian, Irish, Belgian,1 NZ , 1 japanese and 1 Brazilian. Mary King (GB) jumped the fence the hard way and in and out of the lake no problem. Many riders had a problem here, jumping in was easy but a very tight turn into the water to get out over the next fence. Decided then to walk back to the village and watch some more at the start and finish of the course. A good viewpoint as one could see the riders on one side starting out and see others at the other side coming in to the last but one fence. Great joy from the French as Nicholas Touzsaint (European champion) got a clear round. Pippa Funnell and Mary King are in the running for GB as is Andrew Nicholson for NZ. X country finished about 5 and I left to come back home in time to watch Strictly come dancing!!!
Sunday. Nicolas Touzaint held his lead, Mary King was second (with her dressage score, clear x country and show jumping).

No comments: