Saturday, January 5, 2008




Sunday 23rd December.


A miserable day, very foggy and damp. I had wanted us all to go down to Eugenie les Bains for lunch but when I rang the bistro to book a table I had a message to say that they were closed over Christmas. Plan B was to go down to Aire sur l'Adour, have a look round there and try and find somewhere to eat there. Not a lot happening in Aire and no reasonable restaurants, thought we may try one but Steve said he wanted somewhere nicer! Wasn't at all sure where to go but had been told that the hotel in Garlin was good so we went down there. Hotel was closed and I was starting to panic, they didn't seem to realise that finding somewhere to eat in rural France on the Sunday before Christmas was a problem. We drove back via Miramont, where we stayed in the summer, to show them Lilys' cottage and I decided to drive back via Geaune where I knew that there was a bar restaurant. This was the last hope really as it was after 1p.m. but I crossed my fingers and hoped. I pulled up outside the bar and Nigel went in to see if we could eat. He came out saying it was OK so we went and parked the car. After going in through an unimposing entrance and through a long empty room we were surprised, stunned even, to find ourselves in a beautiful room, log fire burning, tables beautifully laid and only 2 other lots of people there. The menu was good and at 16 euros for 3 courses cheap for a weekend. The food was some of the best I have had a we were all very pleased with our meals. Steve and Jason had steak with shallot sauce. The shallot sauce was amazing, so rich, and I couldn't resist dipping my bread in it to try! Sasa, Nigel and I had lamb shank with honey and it just melted in the mouth. A meal to remember and the relief I felt at finding such a wonderful place was indescribable!! Stuffed to the gills we drove on to Eugenie les Bains and had a walk round the gardens there, not for long though as it was so cold and miserable. Another brief stop on the way back to show them the chapel of Notre Dame de la Rugby, a small chapel that is dedicated to rugby and has lots of rugby shirts and memorabilia on display. It could only happen in France!! Back home to prepare nibbles for the evening as we had invited some neighbours for an aperitif. Three lots of neighbours came, Cristel and her mother who live up the lane from us, Sophy, Phillippe and their 2 children who live over the lane and Phillippes mother who lives next door to them. A very convivial hour and the Christmas cake was much appreciated!!

No comments: