Saturday, September 6, 2008

Bayonne again.

Sunday the 24th August was the day that Nigel had to go into the clinic in Bayonne for his lung biopsy. He had to be there for 5pm and we thought that he would be there for 2/3 days. We got to the clinic, this time, without too many mistakes and were able to park with no problems. After checking in at reception (bit like a hotel really!) we went up to the surgical ward. He was told that he had an intensive care, single room right next to the nurses station. Intensive care,why we thought, maybe there was no other room available. After a short while a nurse came to take blood samples, venous and arterial, and then another nurse came in to take his details. She explained that he was in the intensive care ward as they needed to monitor him closely after the biopsy. She also said that the first couple of days afterwards would be quite painful and that he would have a morphine pump to help him cope with the pain. Suddenly, what we had thought was a relatively minor procedure became a much more serious one. It was also explained that he would more likely be in for a week. We were told that the surgeon would be round later in the evening to explain more fully and to allay any fears that Nigel may have. I finally said good bye to him about 6.15 knowing that the next time I saw him would be up to a week later when I would be able to pick him up and bring him home.
I left the car park and was approaching the traffic lights at a very big roundabout when the car stalled, or so I thought. I tried to restart it but no joy. Panic! Luckily I was in the nearside lane (there were 3 lanes) so I put on the hazard lights and the traffic behind me was able to get into the next lane. Perhaps I had flooded the engine? I tried again, no joy. I then got out of the car and smelled and saw diesel in the road. The "sleeve" that my nice mechanic had put on which would allow me to drive in safety had obviously not worked. This was obvious, even to me, who has no mechanical knowledge whatsoever. As far as I am concerned either things work or they don't! By now I was shaking but realised that I had to cope with the situation somehow. I got the warning triangle out of the boot (thankfully I knew where it was) and placed it in the road behind the car -step one. Then with hands shaking I riffled through the insurance paperwork and found the emergency breakdown number - step two. Thankfully I had my mobile and it was charged up and I was able to call the required number - step three. How efficient they were and how pleased I was that they were so efficient. I only had to give the car registration number and they were able to identify me immediately. They asked what the problem was, a diesel leak I said proudly! Someone with even less mechanical knowledge than I have would have known that but it was such a relief that I was able to identify the problem. Then they asked where I was, ah, that wasn't such an easy question to answer. I knew that I was in Bayonne but perhaps they would want more information? So, I said that I am in Bayonne, I'm a stranger here but I am at the traffic lights by a large roundabout near the clinic Lafourcade. Is there not a street name on the buildings at the side of the road they asked. No buildings I said but there is a large sports field here. OK they said we will send a breakdown vehicle out to you. Relief flooded over me and I stopped shaking and started waiting, not too close to the car though. My imagination was working full time, what if someone threw a cigarette end into the diesel in the road, would my car blow up? Despite the hazard lights and the warning triangle many drivers still queued for the lights in the lane behind me and then had to try and get into the middle lane. Although it seemed very busy I thought that it was probably good that it was a Sunday as it would have been even busier on any other day. After what seemed an eternity but was in fact about 3/4 of an hour the breakdown vehicle arrived. The mechanic didn't say a lot but he put another temporary sleeve on the car, told me to get it fixed as soon as possible and wished me a good trip back home. I could have thrown my arms around him and kissed him but thought that it was perhaps not the appropriate action to take! Thankfully I got home safely although somewhat later than expected and yes the car is now fixed! A ghastly experience but now that it is over I feel quite chuffed that I managed to cope.

No comments: