Saturday, September 6, 2008

A solitary week.

Monday, the day if the biopsy I knew that I wouldn't be able to speak to Nigel. I did ring the nurses a couple of times and they told me that he was back in his room and resting. It was a relief to know that the biopsy was over and that he was OK. When I spoke to the nurse on the Tuesday morning she said that I could call him on his private line. When I did he said, grumpily, "What do you want"? Ho,ho I thought can't be feeling that bad if he's so bad tempered. After a very brief conversation we agreed that the best thing was for him to ring me as and when he was able to talk. At the time I rang there were several people in his room and someone was approaching with an x-ray machine. Also, it wasn't easy for him to answer the phone due to the lines in his wrists and a drain tube in his side, all virtually chaining him to the bed. Over the next 5 days we chatted 2 or 3 times a day. His main complaint wasn't about the pain it was about the food! He was on a light diet for a couple of days and was hoping for some improvement after that but apparently it wasn't much better. Perhaps I feed him too well.
I had a relatively lazy week. It was pretty hot, far too hot and dry to do anything in the garden. No Nigel to cook for and the house stayed relatively tidy. I seemed to have a lot of leisure time and spent a lot of it sitting in the shade in the garden with a good book. Can't be bad!
On Friday evening he still wasn't sure when he could come home but then he rang me at 9.30am on Saturday to ask if I could pick him up at 11. Well, it takes an hour and a half to get there and I had just got out of the shower so I said I would be there about 11.30. The roads were quite busy with holiday traffic but I got there OK and we left the clinic about midday.
We came back a rather circuitous route as the direct route was very busy with returning holiday traffic. After having lunch Nigel decided, before getting back in the car, to change out of his heavy corduroy trousers and back into his pyjamas as it was so hot (35C). Should he have asked me to take in some lighter clothing, should I have anticipated this? A short argument/discussion ensued!
We had to stop in Grenade to pick up the huge amount of drugs that he was supposed to take now he was home. (I say supposed as they were mainly pain killers, he has had little pain so has taken only a small amount of them). I parked in the square and went into the chemist with the prescription. It took quite a time to find all the drugs and I was very concerned about Nigel sitting in the car in the heat. I should have known better, knowing Nigel as I do! As I came out of the chemist he walked towards me, still in his pyjamas, from where he had been "lurking" in the shade. We went back to the car, me well in front hoping that no- one would notice him!!
As I write this, a week later, he is making a good recovery and taking things easy. No results as yet and we have to back to Bayonne (Oh joy) on Thursday to see the surgeon for a check up.

No comments: