Saturday, November 7, 2009

Friday 25th September.


Lots of plans were made for today and lots of plans went awry!! Firstly Christine had a call from a close friend to say that her mother (who she was nursing at home) had just died and could Christine go round. Of course she had to go so our plans for the morning were put aside. It turned out for the best really as David and I went for a lovely walk, up Hope Lane, onto the moor and up to the trig. point. Then back down the other side of Hope Hill, across to the golf club and back, down West Lane home. Many memories for me, on the moors, as I used to ride over them every week.
David had to pick up his car, later in the afternoon, from the garage so they asked if I would like to have a look at Bradford town centre. It's many, many years since I have been there and I knew that it would be different but how different it was came as a big shock. In the days, back in the 60's, when I worked there it was a prosperous town, centre of the wool trade. Now it looks neglected and forgotten and is not a nice town at all. Many towns have been regenerated but poor old Bradford looks to have been forgotten. Not a place I would choose to go back to again.
Back home we had a call from Steve to say that he would be arriving in Shipley at 5.40 so we said that we would pick him up there. This is where the next lot of plans go awry. He was to be staying with Max and Beryl (his wife's uncle and aunt) as there is not a lot of spare room at Christine and David's and we were all having a meal there on the Saturday evening. However, about half an hour before we were to pick him up Beryl rang to say that she was feeling very ill, bad cold/flu and what should we do. None of us wanted to catch anything so the meal was cancelled, Steve would stay with us and hopefully we would see her when she recovered. We picked Steve up at the station and filled him in with the new plan. He wasn't too happy about sleeping on a spare mattress in my room, he says that I snore! So he ended up sleeping in the attic. Not as bad as it sounds as there is a ladder up there, it has a floor and is boarded in and he was very comfortable up there.
Once all this was sorted out we went for my first Yorkshire treat, fish and chips at Websters cafe in the village. They were wonderful, so wonderful that I had to have a photo of them!

No comments: